March 27, 2013
- Millions of plastic water bottles are thrown away annually in Australia alone, only 36% of those are recycled
- It can take up to 1000 years for a plastic bottle to breakdown which means millions of plastic bottles pollute our environment every year either ending up in landfill or floating around our oceans
- Plastic bottles contain Bisphenol (BPA) which has been proven to be harmful to humans as it interferes with the body’s natural hormonal messaging system
- It can take 3 litres of water to produce a 1 litre plastic bottle of water and Australia’s usage of bottled water generates 60,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions annually
- 80% of the Great Pacific Ocean Garbage Patch is made up of debris from land such as plastic bottles and bags
- Plastic waste is killing our bird and marine life who mistake it for food
- Australians spend more than half a billion dollars each year on bottled water
- In Australia Tap Water is a safe drinking choice as municipal water managers are required to regularly test tap water
Sources: Clean Up Australia, Go Tap
aquafil Water Refill Stations and Drinking Fountains
Water is essential for healthy living and is crucial for sporting, mental and academic performances. Tap water represents value for money as it’s cheaper for the community than buying plastic water bottles or other soft drinks.
The aquafil range of Water Bottle Refill Stations and Drinking Fountains serve as a dynamic educational tool in the fight to reduce plastic waste and conserve precious resources. Full colour graphics are available on most of the aquafil range and are a valuable educational tool in helping promote a sustainable way of living and encouraging a healthy lifestyle.